Thursday, March 08, 2007

Peter climbs Kilimanjaro

My friend Peter recently returned from Tanzania where he climbed Mt Kilimanjaro, the tallest free-standing mountain rise in the world. Kilimanjaro is in fact a giant volcano, but not currently active. Its highest point is Uhuru Peak on the volcano Kibo, which stands at 5,895 metres above sea level (that's 19,340 ft for the metrically challenged amongst you). As the highest point in Africa, Uhuru Peak is one of the Seven Summits.

Obviously I think Peter's mad, but he claims he had a brilliant time, despite the physical challenge - to get to the top you need to trek through the rainforest, then hike through lava-covered plateaus and finally climb the snow-covered slopes to the top. The higher up you go, the more difficult it gets, not just because of the snow, but also because of the lack of oxygen in the air. Still, it's not called the roof of Africa for nothing, and I can only imagine how invigorating it must have been to reach the top and stand next to that sign.

Peter is a keen photographer and took scores of pictures while he was there, all very unusual and impressive. Here are some of the ones I like best.




6 comments:

Gigi said...

How breathtakingly wonderful...and he looks so happy, too!

I used to think I would do this one day but sadly I am just a flabby old potato now.

Margarita said...

Mountaineering is wacky by itself. But these pictures are gorgeous! Kudos to your friend for the effort and the photography!

Jim (Huan-Pu) Kuo said...

Cool photos, well impressed!

Just come around to tell you my blog address has been changed to http://jimsrandomrant.blogspot.com/

Thanks for reading them.

Tinsie said...

Hello Gigi, Marg, Jim.

I like hiking on mountains (if there's snow so much the better) but never had aspirations to climb Kilimanjaro. Never was fit enough for a start! I love looking at Peter's photos though.

Jim, good to see you here :-) I'll update my links and pay you a visit in your new home soon.

Anonymous said...

I knew that Peter was and still is more active and non-conformist than all of his Cranfield coleagues combined.
I wish he keeps this way, to stay as an example for extraordinary activities, hoping that I manage to accompany him in the future.

G.M.

Tinsie said...

Rather you than me ;-)
I think I'll stay behind in the comfort of my own home, and just post your pictures in my blog!