Monday, July 20, 2009

Harry Potter weekend


Last Saturday the weather was, well let's say worse that you would expect in the middle of summer, even by English standards. As a result, we managed very little other than a quick visit to the supermarket, mainly to buy all the food I need to eat to lose weight. By Saturday evening, having given up on a last-minute respite from the wind and rain, we decided to bite the bullet and stay in with a DVD and a glass of wine.

Rather than just one DVD, we went all out and watched Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, followed by the rest of the Harry Potter movies. We did this two years ago, before Order of the Phoenix came out, so we thought it was time for another revision. It's always fun to watch sequels in one go, especially ones where the characters grow up with each movie and the story continues to unfold.

The only thing we hadn't thought of was that these movies are really long, well over 2 hours each, so in the end we did little else all weekend but watch Harry, Ron, Hermione and Co. get into scrapes - we drank cups of tea, cups of coffee, glasses of (very nice Merlot) wine, ate lunch, dinner and snacks, and all the time Hogwarts was there on the big screen. In the end we only managed to see four of the five films, leaving Order of the Phoenix, which is my favourite so far even though Sirius dies (sniff), to watch tonight.


Now that's something to look forward to.

9 comments:

Susan Mo said...

Wait until you see the Half Blood Prince. I think you will find that that movie will be your new favorite. I saw it Saturday afternoon, and it is my favorite Harry Potter now. I think it has to do with the kids growing up and being more emotional. Of course, the bigger action and adventures helps, too! Can't wait for the next two.

Tinsie said...

I hope you're right! I wasn't too keen on the Half-Blood Prince as a book, but I have confidence in David Yates, I'm sure he will have done a good job :-)

Jackie said...

This is quite a confession, but I've never read any of the books or seen any of the films! I do always mean to, but have never quite got round to it, and I want to read the books first!

Carlos Lorenzo said...

Oh, I haven't seen all of them but I reckon it is a good idea to watch all sequels in a row if you are a freak of the saga. My daughter is. She went to see the last one last July 15th the day they released it here in Spain. She has a game too and makes me play with her but I don't know the characters or the plot so I always lose. Don't tell me Sirius Black dies. LOL

Karen said...

I'm back!! Not into HP, but will try to begin living and writing simultaneously again. :-)

Maria Verivaki said...

wish i had the time to do that - i love harry potter books and films - can't wait to see the last two films when they come out to greece

Tinsie said...

@ Jackie: WOW that's some confession to make! Could you be the only person in the UK who's neither read the books, nor seen the films??

@ Carlos Lorenzo: Sirius Black died at the end of HP5, two years ago. I bet your daughter knows that. No wonder she keeps beating you ;-)

@ Karen: Welcome back!

@ Mediterranean Kiwi: There's still some time to go before the final two films, as they're coming out in 2010 and 2011. I can't wait either, I'm sure they'll be spectacular!

Anonymous said...

Hello-it's Weds and I'm speachless!!!! hint hint X

Tinsie said...

Well, we can't have that! Off to post something silent right away ;-)