Thursday, November 15, 2007

Black, black humor


Earlier in the week Loops and I went to the movies to see Death at a Funeral, a black comedy starring, among others, Matthew Macfadyen (of Spooks fame), Rupert Graves (V for Vendetta), Alan Tudyk, Andy Nyman and Peter Dinklage. It tells the story of two sons who come together with their family to bury their father, but are also joined by a man who claims to be the dead guy's gay lover. When the stranger attempts to blackmail them, they go to extreme measures to keep his mouth shut.

OK, it's not the best (black) comedy I've ever seen, but the acting is very good and there are several laugh-out-loud moments. Shame the whole thing doesn't quite come together, although we'd probably have enjoyed it more if the theatre hadn't been so boiling hot and the leather seats so uncomfortable. I might rent it out at some point to watch in the comfort of my living room and see if I like it better. Actually, I suspect it's just the film to rent when you've got friends round for drinks - the alcohol would make it appear funnier. As a reviewer very eloquently put it over on Rotten Tomatoes: "Death at a Funeral has enough slapstick silliness to overcome its faults".

I reckon if you liked Borat and Shaun of the Dead, you'll like this too. If not, well, best not to bother.

No comments: