Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Greenwich à la française


After the end of the race, we entertained ourselves by pretending we were in France. A number of stalls were set up selling pastries, cakes, bread, sausages, cheese, crepes and olives, as well as Tour de France memorabilia. They were all hugely popular with the punters, who liked nothing more than being able to buy food that's fresh and tasty (something not always possible in London) without having to shell out for a Eurostar ticket. There were several French people around and many that weren't French but did their best to look the part, sporting stripy T-shirts and carrying their baguettes with real pizzazz. The atmosphere had a certain je ne sais quoi that you don't see in Greenwich on a regular Sunday.

I hovered around the stalls taking photos and couldn't help but notice that the pains au chocolat were the first go. I didn't have any, but can report that the boules de campagne and the pains aux raisins were really yummy!

3 comments:

Shionge said...

What fun and buzz Tinsie I would be there in the queue too if I happen to be there :)

Oh what fun what buzz what joy :D

ShadowFalcon said...

Looks cool I miss greenwhich! have you been to the new planterium - it will worth it

Tinsie said...

@ Shionge: It really was great. I love events like that.

@ Shadowfalcon: Nope, but I will :-)