Friday, February 19, 2010

Valentine's Day (the movie)


This morning, I thought it'd be a good idea to watch Valentine's Day at the cinema tonight.

Tonight, I'm thinking I should have gone to the pub and had a couple of drinks instead. Or stayed at home and watched a DVD.

OK, it wasn't awful. Most of it was quite bearable. But it was 30 minutes too long, messy, lackluster and nowhere near as funny or heart-warming as Love Actually.

Credit where credit is due, the acting was good. Taylor Swift was painful to watch, but she was an exception. Anne Hathaway was amazing, as were Queen Latifah and Jamie Foxx. Emma Roberts was cute. Kathy Bates was brilliant in a tiny role. Bradley Cooper and Patrick Dempsey didn't disappoint.

Shame that Ashton - the babe - Kutcher and Jennifer Garner have too little on-screen chemistry to be convincing as a romantic couple on the brink of falling in love.

Shame also that the pacing was so poor. There were certainly plenty of entertaining scenes throughout the film, but there were too many boring, indifferent scenes in between, all syrupy sweet and extra sugar-coated to ensure the audience feels the luuuurve. Sadly, you can have too much of a good thing. Not to mention too many Hollywood A-listers, all demanding their fair share of screen time.

If you're in two minds about whether to watch this on the big screen or wait until it comes out on DVD, I have two words for you: no rush.

By the way, can someone explain to me why all American actors have perfect tans and glowing white teeth? Surely it's not natural for all your teeth to be the exact same shade of whitest white? Creepy.

11 comments:

Lowell said...

Funny review, Tinsie. We almost never go to the theater anymore so won't worry about seeing this "mess".

I think your insights are pretty good.

And I know from nothing about American actor's teeth, but we do have a thing here about white teeth and all kinds of products are advertised which are supposed to make your teeth lightening white.

Better than old, yellow, and missing teeth, I suppose.

Heh. Heh. Have a great weekend!

Shionge said...

I think that's one of the criteria to be actors/actresses ;) To have perfect set of white teeth hehehehhe...

Karen said...

I had DEMANDED that the WH take me to this, but changed my mind after several similar reviews. Too bad, there was so much potential.

On the topic of teeth whitening. It's epidemic here, I tell you. EPIDEMIC. I recently saw something (report, ad, I don't remember) that spoke of people who whiten to the point of having translucent teeth, for which there is no remedy. I know of two such people myself. Your word is perfect

Creepy.

Tinsie said...

@ Jacob: Sure it's better than old, yellow or missing teeth. However, normal, healthy teeth aren't supposed to be a shiny, bright white either!

@ Shionge: I wonder why. It looks weird on screen every time an actor smiles - you almost expect to see their teeth twinkling.

@ Karen: Honestly, save your time and money - or invest it in a better movie. This one really isn't worth it, unless you're happy to watch mindless froth for over two hours. Of my two friends who watched it with me, even the one who liked it said she wished it finished half an hour early.

Translucent teeth sound both weird and scary!

ARUNA said...

This is still on my TO DO list, need to watch the movie!

Tinsie said...

Well, consider yourself warned ;-)

palmtreefanatic said...

I was waiting to hear opinions on this movie before seeing it! thanks:)

Sandi said...

As I accompanied poor Tinsie I decided it was only fair to add to her comments... I confirm...it was BAD. Any more cheese and I'd have to ask for a side of Branstons!? there were some highlights i.e. the scenes with Anne Hathaway but the rest - cringeworthy. I 'think' I'm not cut out for this type of 'series of short stories' film. i didn't love Crash / Love actually / He's not that into you and I 'think' it's because none of the characters can be fully developed.. I like a film that takes me on a journey. so my lesson is, no more films like this. Hey, we had a nice dinner so 1 out of 2 isn't bad. surely.... x

Fifi Flowers said...

MUST see this movie and soon!

Tinsie said...

@ Palmtreefanatic: Let us know what you think if you go see it!

@ Sandi: Awww it was a lovely evening, dinner was good, so was the company :-)

Granted, we could have chosen a better film. This one's got a score of 18% on Rotten Tomatoes, which even by RT standards is LOW. I guess we need to be more careful next time.

@ Fifi: Proceed at your peril.

Anonymous said...

"I 'think' I'm not cut out for this type of 'series of short stories' film. i didn't love Crash / Love actually / He's not that into you and I 'think' it's because none of the characters can be fully developed.. I like a film that takes me on a journey. so my lesson is, no more films like this. "

I don't necessarily mind ensemble films or films with more than one romance. But I don't think most filmakers can pull off more than 2 maybe 3 significant romances in a film without the couples and characters ending up under developed.