Saturday, May 09, 2009

Maypole dancing

The children in last Wordless Wednesday's photo were getting ready to do a maypole dance. This photo shows them in action.


It wasn't the most intricate dancing I've seen, but they deserve full credit for showing even a tiny amount of enthusiasm considering it was raining at the time. Nothing like a May day should be - but exactly like most Maydays are in the UK.


This is a short video I took, which shows them weaving the ribbons one way, then undoing them. They were rather pleased with themselves when they finished and got a round of applause.



Personally, I think the lady in the middle holding the pole steady deserved the biggest praise. That was a task and a half!

12 comments:

stromsjo said...

A good center is a necessity for any team, as we're being reminded in these days of hockey world championships!

Tinsie said...

Quite right! What's happening in hockey then?

Saretta said...

That's a lovely pattern that they weaved, I bet they were proud of themselves!

Maria Verivaki said...

they look more enthusiuastic than in the photo before!

ShadowFalcon said...

I had no idea people still did this! Its like jumping back to primary school!

Tinsie said...

@ Saretta: Yeah, they did really well :-)

@ Mediterranean Kiwi: I think it was nerves - lots of people watching!

@ ShadowFalcon: Of course they do, although maybe not in London :-)

stromsjo said...

>What's happening in hockey then?Not much anymore, it ended on Sunday. Russia, Canada and Sweden snatched the medals. Hard to retain any interest in ice hockey when the birds are singing and the landscape turns green...

Tinsie said...

Hmmm. Hockey's not very big over here, so I had no idea. I guess it makes sense that Canada, Russia and Sweden would do well :-)

Karen said...

I finally watched this and it made me remember that all the maypoles in Germany are permanent, almost like a tree that has had the branches removed. I'll look for a picture.

Tinsie said...

Are they really? All the ones I've seen in England are portables, although not all of them quite as flimsy as this one. I'd be very interested in a photo :-)

stromsjo said...

>Hockey's not very big over here

That's the general idea. Find an odd sport and start world championships. The chances of winning a medal are much better then! ;)

Tinsie said...

Hahaha I'd not thought of it like that, but you are of course right!

I guess that's what the Greeks did with basketball, but as they started making a name for themselves, the USSR and Yugoslavia split into smaller countries, each with their own teams, and now it's that much harder to do well in the championships.

All we need is for the US to split up, and we'll have to find a new sport.