Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Marriage doesn't make sense

Marriage doesn't work without ideals. In fact, marriage is the most ludicrous thing, if you think about it. Which two human beings can live together happily ever after without at some point getting irritated or just bored? It's insane. It's impossible. The "love of your life" is a notion, it doesn't actually exist. If you go on holiday with your best mates in the world, at some point everyone annoys everyone else, yet it's not supposed to apply to husbands and wives. So you have to be an idealist to be married. You have to believe the magic. If you walked into marriage with your eyes open, you'd start running in the opposite direction before you got to say "I do", because on paper, marriage simply doesn't make sense.

This is an extract from The Godmother, possibly the best chick lit novel I've read since No! I Don't Want to Join a Bookclub. Although I don't agree with the sentiment 100%, it certainly made me think. If nothing else, it explains why so many marriages fail these days.

You can read a review of the book here.

4 comments:

palmtreefanatic said...

hmmm very interesting tinsie, thanks for sharing!

Shanne said...

hi there!
i find your blog so interesting. do visit mine. take care. :)

Maria Verivaki said...

aaargghhh, i'd rather not find out whay marriages fail, just in case the traits resemble my own (!)

Shionge said...

Yo Tinsie, so refreshing I think I'm gonna check out this book :D

Yes, marriage is hard work, very very institution to attend to for life ;( Besides the ups & downs, all the compromises and sacrifices oh boy I'm so tired already.

:) Thank you Tinsie