Sunday, January 18, 2009

Life's for sharing

On Thursday 15 January at 11:00 AM, a flashmob-style dance broke out in Liverpool Street station in London, courtesy of T-Mobile. 400 dancers performed 8 different dance routines to tracks as varied as Lulu's Shout and Johan Strauss Blue Danube Waltz, whilst unsuspecting travellers whipped out their mobiles and took pictures and videos - those who didn't join in the dancing, that is.



To watch a high quality version of the clip, go to YouTube and select "watch in high quality".

The event, albeit short, was quite impressive. It was filmed with 10 hidden cameras and was shown simultaneously on TV and YouTube the next day at 9:10 PM.

For me, it's one of the best TV adverts ever. What do you think?

8 comments:

Maria Verivaki said...

absolutely love it - this sort of thing can only happen in a place like london - thanks for sharing it with us

stromsjo said...

It takes a lot of originality to get a message out in today's media landscape. This certainly worked. Would have been even better if they had put some more effort into finding snippets of music that don't clash with each other. Still, fun to watch.

Betty Carlson said...

Cool! I wish Liverpool Street station had looked like this last time I arrived in London, on a Friday evening! There was such a mob I didn't even really see the station!

Tinsie said...

@ Mediterranean Kiwi: You are very welcome :-)

@ Per Stromsjo: I actually liked the way the music clashed - you didn't know what was coming next!

@ Betty: It's a beautiful station, but it can get quite busy at times. I've seen it when it's almost deserted and it's stunning.

Unknown said...

This is so cool!!! I'm really glad you have shown us! Thanks! :-)))

ShadowFalcon said...

That is brilliant, I hadn't heard about it - I'll never look at Liverpool street station the same way!

Anonymous said...

Wow, it's really great to see this! Maybe they can bring it over to other countries too :)

Tinsie said...

Glad you liked it guys :-)

Nina, I don't know if it will happen elsewhere, as now it's happened once, people will always be wondering if they're being filmed when something similar happens. I know for a fact, if I'm at a station, there's music coming from the speakers and the person next to me starts shaking it like a pro, the first thing I'll do is smile brightly for the secret cameras haha!