Friday, January 04, 2008

Athens Christmas lights


Following from an earlier post showing you what festive London looks like, I thought I'd give you a glimpse of Athens, Greece, during the holiday season.

Fist off, a couple of alternative takes on the good old Christmas tree:



This crib is nothing special, but I like this photo because you can just about see the little boy looking at it quite intently.


The Christmas tree on Syntagma Square, in the city centre. You can see the parliament building in the background. I didn't spot any Christmas boats around there.



A lady chestnut seller. I luuuuurve roasted chestnuts!


This is koulouri, a popular street snack. It's a circular bread with sesame seeds, it's sold by street vendors and is yummy!


Of all the snowmen and Santas I saw, this was my favourite. Doesn't he look like he's about to go "ho ho ho Merry Christmas"?


Well, maybe not ho ho ho. Perhaps he's only saying "Have a Happy New Year, folks"!

4 comments:

Betty Carlson said...

Thanks for the photos! And I hope your New Year is underway in a suitably happy fashion!

Anonymous said...

Christmas in Athens was lovely. Everything is going to seem dull and colourless now that the tree and decorations will be removed:-( I really enjoyed walking along the beautifully-lit streets at night and the sound of Christmas carols filling the air. Such a shame we have to return back to routine. Hope you had a great flight home.
Filia.

Anonymous said...

Oh almost forgot:Have a look at Oh Christmas boat.

Tinsie said...

@ Betty: New Year's been a whirlwind of parties and very little rest. I'm actually looking forward to catching up on some sleep now that I'm back in London.

@ Kathy: I have to agree, although Athens is never colourless :-)

The flight back was pretty crap, even by BA standards. First we boarded an hour late, then we had to wait for some of the cargo to be unloaded because the plane was too heavy to take off, then it took almost 4 hours to fly back and to top it all, our luggage was late and we missed our train into London by about 30 secs and had to wait 15 mins for the next one.

The rest of the journey was pretty uneventful ;-)