Friday, November 20, 2009

Le Beaujolais Nouveau and other stories


Today we were invited to a charity event to celebrate Beaujolais Day and raise money for the local branch of the MS Society. The event was hosted by our friend Greg, who drove to France to pick up the wine himself.

Beaujolais Nouveau is a lightweight red wine made from Gamay grapes in the Beaujolais region of France. It is the most popular vin de primeur, fermented for just a few weeks then officially released for sale on the third Thursday of November, known as Beaujolais Day. It is intended for immediate drinking, and should be consumed by the following May after its release.

Our event took place at The Taste of India restaurant in Greenwich, with an Indian buffet and plenty of Beaujolais wine for tasting. Well, they said tasting, but I had two glasses and I don't even like wine that much. So I'm guessing others tasted rather more of it.


It was a great event, but as soon as I got home all I could think of was sleep. I slept for 1.5 hours and woke up feeling very disoriented. What's worse, we have a birthday party to go to tonight which promises to be another major drinking session. So I've made a cup of tea and checked that we have every remedy known to drunken men for tomorrow morning: tea bags, milk, coffee and coffee filters, toast, bacon and Alka-Seltzer. Let's hope they're enough.

I'm off now to get ready for the party. Cheers my lovies! Hope you all have a great Friday evening xx

10 comments:

Margarita said...

How is it like, fruity or dry?

I'm holding to my boozing quota for next week with Thanksgiving and the like - I might make warm wine or something, and it goes down oh so easily!

Tinsie said...

It's quite fruity, not dry at all.

Mulled wine is divine. Best thing about Christmas :-)

Shionge said...

Have a good time TInsie and I'll check this wine out :D

Puss-in-Boots said...

You forgot the aspirin or paracetamol in your hangover cures...lol.

I can't drink red wine, unfortunately. I like it but it does not like me and I get awful migraines so I have to stick with white.

Sound like a good day, though. Hope they raised some good money for MS.

Roy Cherian Cherukarayil said...

Tinsie,
I had an encounter with white..should try out this once...for Christmas...

Roy

GMG said...

Hi Tinsie! OH, Le Beujolais Nouveau vient d'arriver!! I'm not a fan! Truly it isn't exactly a wine... but ok!! ;)))

Blogtrotter has an astonishing display of works of art by contemporary artists in the streets of Bilbao for you to enjoy. Have a great week!

Roy Cherian Cherukarayil said...

Tinsie,
I thought any kind of wine becomes more tasty, the older it is...so I wonder why you need to taste this before the coming May..can you please tell elaborate.

Best

Roy

Tinsie,

I would be very happy if you could visit my blog more often and see all my work...since you have a great interest in photography and paintings..so I would like to message you as soon as I post...as I don't post everyday...please tell me how I can reach you...

Best

Roy

Tinsie said...

@ Shionge: Do! I'm told it's a good year this year, you will enjoy it.

@ Puss-in-Boots: Alka-Seltzer is aspirin, although in the end neither of us needed to take any. Thank God.

@ GMG: Aaah we have a wine snob I see ;-)

@ Cherry: Most wine is best left to mature, but because Beaujolais is made with a special process, it has almost no tannins (one of the natural preservatives in red wine) so the flavours fade away quite quickly.

I have your blog on Google Reader, so I get an update every time you post :-)

palmtreefanatic said...

mmmmI like fruity!:)

Tinsie said...

You may want to check it out. It's a very nice wine this year and would go well with turkey and all the trimmings because it's quite light and fresh.